The second request Jesus tells his disciples to pray in Luke 11:2 is “Thy Kingdom come.” As I claimed in a previous study, some folks believe that, if we are praying for God’s Kingdom to come, our prayer implies his Kingdom must not yet be present. However, this isn’t so in the light of Luke 10:21, where Jesus rejoices and addresses his Father as “Lord of heaven and of earth!” Our Father cannot be Lord of earth, unless his Kingdom is present upon the earth. Moreover, the exact same tense of the verb “come” in Luke 11:2 is used for the verb “forgive” in Luke 11:4, and certainly we can’t be asking God to forgive our sins at some future date. Therefore, if this logic is sound, how should we understand our asking our Father to cause his Kingdom to come? In what sense must it yet come, if it is already here? Read the rest of this entry »
Who is Jesus?
Search Smoodock’s Blog
Eddie on Understanding Prophetic Langua… Dave White on Understanding Prophetic Langua… Eddie on Premillennialism–Kingdom… librarygeek on Premillennialism–Kingdom… Eddie on The Lord Comes Suddenly to His… Bill on The Lord Comes Suddenly to His…
Most Recent Studies
- The End of the World
- Is Experience Better Evidence for Truth?
- The End of All Things Is at Hand
- The Rich Man and Resurrection
- Who Were the Scoffers?
- Who Is the Rich Man?
- Why Would the Scoffers Ridicule Peter?
- What Was the Sin of the Pharisees?
- Ignoring the Time Statements
- Jesus’ Command to Make Friends
Most Read This Week
- Abraham apologetics atheism Christianity Christmas Epistles of Peter Epistle to the Galatians Eschatology Genesis Flood Godhead Gospel Gospel of Luke Jesus Kingdom of God Last Days naturalism New Testament History Paul Paul's 2nd Missionary Journey Paul's 3rd missionary journey Paul First Missionary Journey Paul in bonds Prophecy Redemption Religion salvation spiritual warfare Textual Criticism theory of evolution Walking with God
Possible Subjects of Interest70 Weeks Prophecy Abraham Adam Annas apologetics apostles authority Barnabas birth of Jesus Book of Acts Chris Christ Christianity circumcision Cross Crucifixion death end times faith False Doctrine false teachers Galatians gentiles God Gospel Gospel of John Grace High Priest Holy Spirit Isaac Jerusalem Jerusalem council Jesus Jesus is God Jewish authorities Jews John the Baptist Josephus Judgment Kingdom of God Law Law of Moses Love Luke Mary Messiah Moses Olivet Prophecy Passover Paul Paul's 2nd missionary journey persecution Peter Pharisees power prayer Prophecy Rebellion Redeemer Redemption Religion and Spirituality repentance Resurrection righteousness Saint Paul Saint Peter salvation Sarah Satan Second Coming sin Stephen Temple Theophilus theory of evolution
- 201,394 hits