In Luke 11:24-28 Jesus offers his listeners a parable about an evil spirit in an effort to unveil what was at stake for the Jewish nation, if they didn’t receive him as their Messiah. First of all, there isn’t a single example in the Bible where a demoniac was healed but, afterward, became possessed again. Therefore, we need to ask if Jesus’ words have another meaning. Secondly, we need to remember that Jews in the first century thought and spoke differently than did gentiles of the same period. Jews would think and speak in pictures, but gentiles more analytically. For example, a gentile might have claimed Caesar was a great leader, but the Jews would have called David a great shepherd. A gentile might refer to a good man as someone of strong moral character, but an ancient Jew might say he was as a tree planted by the riverside, whose leaves didn’t wither (cf. Psalm 1:3). Read the rest of this entry »
Daily Archives: July 6, 2017
Who is Jesus?
Search Smoodock’s Blog
Eddie on Are There Two Comings of the… tiptopsaidhe on Are There Two Comings of the… Eddie on The Surprising Power of False… Dave White on The Surprising Power of False… Eddie on The Surprising Power of False… Dave White on The Surprising Power of False…
Most Recent Studies
- Did Jesus’ Kingdom Come on Pentecost?
- Receiving the Chief Publican
- When Was the Apocalypse Written?
- The Little Man Who Couldn’t See
- The Second Coming and Revelation 11
- Zacchaeus, the Chief Tax Collector
- What Was ‘About to’ Occur in Paul’s Day
- Lord, that I May See
- Jesus Coming in Judgment and to Rule
- A Contradiction in Luke?
Most Read This Week
- Abraham apologetics atheism Christianity Christmas Epistles of Peter Epistle to the Galatians Eschatology Genesis Flood Godhead Gospel Gospel of Luke Jesus Kingdom of God Last Days naturalism New Testament History Paul Paul's 2nd Missionary Journey Paul's 3rd missionary journey Paul First Missionary Journey Paul in bonds Prophecy Redemption Religion salvation spiritual warfare Textual Criticism theory of evolution Walking with God
Possible Subjects of Interest70 AD 70 Weeks Prophecy Abraham Adam Annas apologetics apostles authority Barnabas birth of Jesus Book of Acts Chris Christ Christianity circumcision Cross Crucifixion death end times faith False Doctrine false teachers Galatians gentiles God Gospel Gospel of John Grace healing High Priest Holy Spirit Isaac Jerusalem Jerusalem council Jesus Jesus is God Jewish authorities Jews John the Baptist Josephus Judgment Kingdom of God Law Law of Moses Love Luke Mary Messiah Moses Olivet Prophecy Paul Paul's 2nd missionary journey persecution Peter Pharisees power prayer Prophecy Rebellion Redeemer Redemption Religion and Spirituality repentance Resurrection Saint Paul Saint Peter salvation Satan Second Coming sin Stephen Temple Theophilus theory of evolution unbelief
- 215,857 hits